THE CHURCH BUILDING
from 'The Church Guide Book'
For about 1500 years, it is believed, a church has stood on the high piece of land to the south of the village of Farnborough. The view from this point takes in the farm land and natural woodland right down the valley and to the top of the next hill. Within living memory this area of Kent was owned by the Lubbock family, Sir John Lubbock (the first Lord Avebury) being responsible for the Education Act of 1870 and the Bank Holidays Act amongst others.
The land is now managed by the local Borough Council and the Kent County Council. These two photographs show the view from Church Fields at around the beginning of the 20th century, and now. Click to enlarge.
The font is the finest surviving internal feature of the church
and dates from the latter half of the 14th century. The
octagonal bowl, which has been badly cracked in time past, has
eight different geometric panels. Five are made up of
quatrefoils and abstract flower panels, and three chiefly
contain what appear to be stylized human figures.
The font was originally lime-washed and coloured, traces of which remain. The stem on which the bowl stands is of the Victorian period.
The present gallery dates from 1723. At one time there was another gallery above it, where the musicians sat, and in 1842 an organ was placed there. In 1845 the organ was moved to the lower gallery.
The present organ, was given by Mr. T. Hamilton Fox in 1886, and placed in a newly built organ chamber in the north transcept. It has been added to over the years, as is testified by the plaques in the walls of the organ chamber and over the Rector’s Stall in the chancel.
In 1960, the pipe work was separated from the console and placed on an upper gallery at the West end of the church, the two parts of the organ being connected by electrical wiring. The present two manual instrument was rebuilt in the 1980s.