FARNBOROUGH VILLAGE - EARLY HISTORY
FARNBOROUGH, Kent, to be distinguished from the better known Farnborough in Hampshire and from places of the same name in Berkshire and Warwickshire, is a village on the high road to Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and Hastings, 14 miles from London, and about 350 feet above sea level.
The village was not mentioned in the Doomsday Book although the manor existed in the middle ages, and in the 1200s was held by Simon de Montfort.
The village developed astride the main Road from London to Hastings. The section between Bromley and Sevenoaks became a turnpike road in 1749. This was of considerable importance to the development of the village, which provided services and provisions to the coach operators and their passengers. This heritage is reflected in the village sign, see above.
Before Farnborough Hill was built the coaches travelled down Church Hill and over Old Hill, at times known as the old Roman Road. At the top of this once stood the local gibbet; reputed to be the last in England to be used for public hanging, but we have no proof of that. The stocks were at the top of Church Hill.