The village developed astride the ancient main road from London to Hastings. Evidence dating from when it was a significant point on the turnpike road between Bromley and Sevenoaks can still be seen today.
This part of the website describes the principal features of the central part of the village, which retains a shape and character that would be recognisable to a visitor from many centuries past. One reason for this is that the railway never came to Farnborough, although there were many proposals.
On this page are some historical photos taken in the early part of the twentieth century, contrasted with modern photos of the same locations.
|Farnborough High Street||Farnborough High Street today|
Coaches and horsemen were accomodated at the pub that now bears the name 'The Change of Horses', but was named for centuries 'The New Inn'.
|The New Inn||The Change of Horses (New Inn renamed)|
Junction with Church RoadThe principal building at this junction was for many centuries the George and Dragon Inn. This existed in the 16th Century, and was used as a coaching inn. The George and Dragon was replaced by The George in 1937. This was in turn demolished after the start of the current century to make way for the new housing adjoining the junction between Church Road and the High Street.
|The George and Dragon||The George (from 1937)
|Former bus turning area||The same site today|
For many years the triangle by the George and Dragon where Church Road meets the High Street was used as a turning and parking area for bus route 47, and from 1949 route 51. It was landscaped by Bromley Council in 1985 to enhance the Conservation Area.
Church RoadChurch Road retains the rural character of the past and the path in the lychgate connects Church and Village. The historic buildings in Church Road include No. 3(19th Century), No. 5, with the overhanging weatherboard, Nos 15 and 18 (18th Century) and No. 20 (17th Century).
|Church Road in the early 20th century and now, showing how little this has changed|
Near to Farnborough VillageFarnborough bypass was opened in 1927. To the South-East is the old village of Green Street Green, to the south lies the High Elms estate. The turnpike road originally passed down Church Road then up Old Hill. Later, after the road down Farnborough Hill had been built, the route changed to go through Green Street Green village.
These photos are from the early years of the twentieth century, contratsed with the same locations seen today.
|Fox's Brewery Green Street Green|
|High Elms with Former Mansion|
|Old Hill (former Turnpike Road)|
The eastern part of the village was developed from the late
nineteenth century with roads named
after famous people, including Peel, Pitt and Palmerston.
Farnborough was on the main A21 trunk road between London and
Hastings until 1927, when Farnborough by-pass opened. The housing
development on the Orpington side of the A21 after the war was one
of the factors leading eventually to the building of St. Nicholas
Farnborough was part of the Bromley Rural District from 1894 until 1934 when this was abolished. Most of its area then became part of Orpington Urban District. Since 1965 Farnborough has been within the London Borough of Bromley.
The centre of the Village has been a Conservation Area since 1979, where conservation and improvement of the environment are given priority. The former bus-turning area was landscaped by Bromley Council in 1985 to enhance the Conservation Area.
Today Farnborough is served by bus routes from Bromley, Orpington and Sevenoaks/Tonbridge. Orpington main line railway station is about 20 minutes brisk walk.